The Asphalt Manager will provide overall direction and leadership to the Asphalt line of business. The AM will be responsible for making key decisions and recommendations as related to safety, profitability, plant operations, plant quality control, Internal and external sales, resource management and people development. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
- Manage financial success of the business by reviewing financial status for areas of responsibility on a daily and monthly basis, assessing long-term profitability and monitoring cash flow/collections.
- Exceed our customer’s expectations in the management of daily asphalt production and construction projects.
- Responsible for managing the external and internal sales market, including pricing structure and strategy.
- Oversight and responsibility of all estimating, contracting, constructing and HMA production.
- Develop relationships with major customers and vendors to maximize short and long-term goals and strategies.
- Collaborate and participate with other lines of business within the organization and industry partners to strategically grow the business in existing market.
- Provide proactive leadership to ensure the safety culture of the company continues to grow. Collaborates with the local Safety and Environmental Departments to maintain a safe working environment that complies with company standards, as well as federal, state, and local regulations.
- Develop direct reports and others by participating in the talent management process (i.e. performance management, succession planning).
- Responsible for the planning and procurement of capital to ensure assets are maintained to meet market demands. Accountable for the proper repair and maintenance of equipment and plants to ensure they are in the best working order at all times.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required.
Education and/or Experience
- BS Degree and or High School diploma with five (5) or more years’ experience in the industry.
- Ability to manage and motivate team members of varying pipeline levels to engage in and support all safety, production, and financial initiatives.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and record of accomplishment. Success in leading & driving change in organizations and increasing profitability
- Strong analytical, fact-based approach to support sound decision-making. Strategic minded with strong finance experience and skills.
- Demonstrated business acumen in asphalt construction and plant operations and Quality Control as it relates to sales, finance, or IT
- Entrepreneurial mind-set, and can think like a business owner
- Ability to see the big picture while focusing on the process and procedures necessary to produce deliverables.
- Customer focused with attention to detail and capable of delivering accurate, quality results in a timely, consistent, and professional manner
- Strong organizational skills – can bring order and clarity to ambiguous, fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills including the ability to interact comfortably and respectfully with all levels of plant and corporate personnel
- Work well in a team and build relationships. Hands-on, collaborative approach
- High degree of drive, initiative, and motivation. Action oriented and results oriented
- Strong work ethic, willing to put in the time and energy required to drive performance
- Capable of working independently and managing multiple priorities
- Excellent communication skills – verbal, written listening – at all levels in the organization
- Demonstrated success in coaching and developing others; share his/her knowledge
- Flexibility and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Manage vision and purpose
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills with emphasis on Excel
Ability to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence, and memos. Ability to write correspondence precisely. Ability to effectively present information in one on one and group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiple and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ration, percent, land to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Experience managing budgets and performing basic financial analysis preferred
- Reasoning Ability
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed, written or oral instructions
- Computer Skills
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should be able to type and use keyboards accurately and have knowledge of Database software.
- Proficient utilizing Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.)
- Valid driver’s license with the ability to maintain a clean motor vehicle record.
- Daily travel will be required, travel out of the area for short intervals will be required at times.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit, climb, and use hands to handle or feel. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, crawl, kneel, bend, and reach with hands and arms above their shoulders. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move from 10 to 50 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job in the field, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts and heavy machinery; working from heights; outside weather conditions; and extreme cold and/or heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud when out in the field.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Company and its designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
What CRH Americas Offers You
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs